Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Charlotte's Bakery

I like to bake. Well, I like the idea of baking. I love the finished product of homemade goods fresh out of the oven. What I don't like is cleaning up afterward.

The first thing I realized when I started my gluten free diet was that good bread was hard to find. Most of the stuff I found was either tasteless, gritty, hard, or left a bad aftertaste. Sometimes all four at the same time. I tried making bread myself but it was an ordeal and the loaves never turned out well.

Then I found Charlotte's Bakery and it changed my life.

Their bread is awesome. It is slightly sweet, kind of like a cross between cornbread and potato rolls. It stays together very well and is excellent for sandwiches and french toast. Peanut butter and Jelly on Charlotte's bread almost feels like a treat. I adore this bread. The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't toast or grill well, so I have to use a different bread for breakfast toast and grilled cheese sandwiches.

I keep usually keep it in my fridge, and it stays fresh for about a week. It does freeze pretty well, but the crust can be a little dry when it thaws out. Overall this bread is excellent.

They also make cakes, cookies, pies, and other goodies. I'll be writing reviews for those soon.

I'm lucky that Charlotte's is sold at my local health food store. If you aren't so fortunate, they do sell online. You can find them at http://www.charlottesbakery.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment