Sunday, November 14, 2010

Udi's Blueberry Muffins

I seem to be posting a lot of breakfast things lately and there are a few more coming, so bear with me!

I also seem to be on an Udi's kick, but I just found the stuff so it's all new and exciting.

My latest product test has been the Udi's Blueberry Muffins. I'm a big fan of blueberry muffins, and Udi's doesn't disappoint.


In my opinion there is a distinct difference between cupcakes and muffins. To me muffins are not just unfrosted cupcakes, and cupcakes are not frosted muffins. The two are not interchangeable. I am sometimes a fan of sweet things for breakfast, but normally I want something that is at least somewhat healthy. Especially if I'm feeding it to my kids.

These muffins walk that line very nicely. They are tasty but not too cake-like. They do have the sugar sprinkles on top, but they aren't to sweet. They have the right balance of chewy muffin-ness and bittersweet blueberry-ness.


In the name of scientific discovery I decided to try warming half a muffin in the microwave for 30 seconds to see what it would be like to have it slathered in melted butter. The result looked promising...



...but turned out to be a bad idea. I think maybe 30 seconds was too long because the muffin came out waaaaay too hot and turned into a shriveled chewy mess as soon as I tried to take a bite. It still tasted pretty good, but the texture was really off. I don't think I'll be trying that again.

I haven't just been eating these for breakfast. They've also been a great after school snack for my daughter. They're sweet enough that she feels like she's getting a treat, but healthy enough that I don't feel like a bad mom for giving them to her. Given the choice, she actually chose half a muffin over some of her Halloween candy!

I give these muffins high marks. It's about $6 for a four pack, which I didn't think was too bad. They keep pretty well in the fridge, and I will be getting these again.


Again, if you go to Udi'sGlutenFree.com you can get a $1 off coupon.

No comments:

Post a Comment