Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Udi's Plain Bagels

My daughter actually found these bagels at our local supermarket. They're called Udi's Plain Bagels and they were hiding in the bakery department! They were in the display fridge with the decorated cakes. My husband was in the bakery getting a treat for himself and my daughter happened to see them.

Not only are they gluten free, but they're also dairy, soy, and nut free. That's great for us since we've also taken my daughter off of milk products. They cost a little over $5 for four bagles, but if you go to their website you can print out a $1 off coupon.


The bagels were kind of dark on the outside, they looked more like whole wheat bagels than plain.


One of the great things about Udi's bagels is that they are already split. Once I got the bagel opened up I could see the lovely doughy white inside.


And since a bagel is always better with a little schmear, of course I had to slather on some whipped cream cheese!


These bagels are awesome. The texture is great. Gluten free foods tend to have a crumbly texture, but somehow those amazing people over at Udi's managed to make these bagels chewy and delicious. I am a huge fan of bagels and they are one of the things I miss most from my old gluten diet. These bagels are just as good as any of the "regular" bagels on the store shelf, and much better than some!

Oh, and I also tried these toasted. The results were just as great. Even when they were cooked they still kept that great bagel chewiness. I think these bagels would be great substituted for "regular" bagels in any situation. I'm going to try using one for a nice big turkey sandwich.

Udi's Plain Bagels get high marks for great texture and taste, bonus points go for being already sliced. I really recommend these and I'm excited to try their other products! Head over to UdisGlutenFree.com and get yourself a coupon.

4 comments:

  1. These bagels are unevenly sliced, overpriced, have a consistency of a day old hard roll, and the taste of a cardboard box. Before being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I enjoyed my Thomas's Bagels and Arnold Brick Oven white bread. Now I am left with a disappointing bread and bagel outlook for the rest of my life. It is quite apparent that the Gluten and every other possible good tasting ingredients have been removed from these items. For the price of this disappointing (Treat) maybe they can find a way to add some flavor and pizazz? I guess like other (Gourmet Foods), Escargo, Cavier, Monkey Brains, and Frog Legs, you are overcharged and robbed of anything that tastes good.
    I will take my chances with my Celiac Disease and return to my Thomas's Bagels and Arnold Brickoven Bread. Bagels, 6 per bag, $2.69 Bread, 2 lb loaf, $4.19. Your tasteless, disappointing product 4 bagels $5.99, Udis Bread 14 microscopic slices, $5.43. Disappointment all around!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you were so disappointed Mike!

    Please don't give up on your gluten free diet just because you don't like a particular brand of bagels and bread.

    I've been on the diet for three years, and while I admit that I haven't found any brand of bread product that is as good as the stuff with gluten in it, it's worth the sub-par bread to feel better.

    Udi's bread and bagels happen to be a brand that I like. It's taken me years to find, I didn't like all the other stuff people raved about. Maybe you just haven't found your brand yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez Heather, are you kidding or on their payroll? I'm with Mike, I tried Udi's Plain Bagels, and they are a joke, a severely overpriced joke. Yes, they sort of look like a bagel from a distance, but give me a break, look, I know how hard it is to be gluten free and how so many people have to lie to themselves and to the world about how a lot of food tastes just to cope. But this is a disgrace, where that comment about the chewy texture and all comes in, please, these bear absolutely no resemblance to a bagel, and to be charged more than a dollar per for what is a dry gluten free hamburger bun with a hole in the top is criminal, taking advantage of people's illness and this sanctimonious fad about being "gluten free," like it's being "cocaine free." Anyone who eats gluten free food when they don't have to is a moron. Anyone who eats gluten free food because they have to just to get along does not deserve this disrespect of inferior quality and highway robbery prices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I think Mike's comment is extreme (really?! You're going to risk malnutrition and cancer over a BAGEL?), I do kind of agree on the taste. I love the other Udi's products without fail -oh MAMA those chocolate muffins!

    These guys, however, are closer to rolls with holes, or what my guy's family calls "goybles" ;) They don't taste as if they've been boiled in salt water at all, which is what diferenciates a bagel from other breads! Udi's, I really hope you reconsider your recipe for these..

    ReplyDelete